Today I’ve been packing my H’s bag for his first day at secondary school and I thought I’d share with you what will be going in it.
First of all, the bag was something I spent a lot of time looking into. We picked this one out as the ideal secondary school bag, but obviously we haven’t tested it out yet. It’s got lots of pockets (I’m going to put important things in different pockets). It’s lockable and water-resistant and seems a good size (if you buy one don’t be dismayed when it arrives as it looks very small in the bag, but it is bigger than it first looks). It’s also got a USB charging port and a earphone port (although I’m not going to encourage use of this as I worry about having earphones in will make him less aware of his surroundings). It has 2 main pockets (one for books and the other for things like timetables, planners or maps. Then there are 8 inner pockets, 2 side pockets and 1 front pocket. One of the side pockets is for the waterproof and I’m keeping his stationery in the front pocket. Bus pass in a zipped inner pocket and a key ring attached to the zip, so the keys don’t get lost. He’s personalised it with some Harry Potter Backpack Buddies, otherwise it might just blend in with the other black bags.
Inside we have put the following:
- Water bottle
- Calculator (suitable for up to GCSE)
- Oxford Maths Set with a few extra bits of our own like pencils, pen, sharpener and eraser
- Keyring that will stretch out of the bag to open the door
- Bus pass
- USB portable charger
If you are interested, this is what we bought.
Other items worth considering:
- 30cm ruler (the maths set has a 15cm one)
- map – On the open day the girl showing us around said she’d found a map of the school very useful. Apparently though they don’t give them out to new pupils, but her mum had kept one from the open day (as did I after that).
- money – lots of schools are cashless these days though.
- snack or packed lunch
Is there anything we have missed? Do you have any suggestions?