One of our favourite places to visit in Birmingham is the Thinktank. It’s a great family venue and we have been visiting there regularly with our son since he was a toddler. He still loves it now at nearly 8 and I think he’ll enjoy going there for some years to come.
Thinktank is essentially a science museum, but one with lots of interactive exhibits and hands on experiences.There are 4 floors of exhibits with each having its own particular focus.
- On the ground floor the focus is on Birmingham’s historic heritage with a range of vehicles built-in and around the city, plus a chance to see the oldest working steam engine in the world, the Smethwick engine.
- The floor you enter the museum on aims at exploring the present. Kids’ City was a favourite zone here when H was a preschooler. There’s a cafe, a garage and health centre so your child can pretend to do all sorts of jobs. There’s a water play area too and we have often been glad that we brought along some spare clothes because H has got wet creating log flumes and the like. Older kids will enjoy finding out about how our bodies work and there’s plenty to keep all ages occupied.
- Other collections look ahead to the future exploring cutting edge technologies and looking at space. There’s also the fulldome 360? technology of Thinktank’s digital planetarium, which can bring space to live.
- The fun continues outside with the Science Garden and there are plenty of hands on, fun things to do there.
- There’s also the Kids’ Park which is an outdoor play area within the new 8-acre Birmingham City Park and it’s just outside the Thinktank. A perfect place for a picnic on a nice day, but there’s a cafe with plenty of seating inside the Thinktank if you prefer.
Thinktank is one of our favourite family destinations. It’s somewhere you can go whatever the weather. Obviously the Science Garden is better when it’s dry, but you can always nip out between showers.
I’ve been working with Millennium Hotels on this review and they will shortly be producing a blogger’s guide to Birmingham.