You can just imagine how excited H was about the arrival of this ultra cool toy. The Teksta Robot T Rex is just about every boy’s dream toy. Last year I gave my niece an earlier version of this type of toy and it had a few issues, so I was interested to see how Teksta robotic toys had moved on over the last year or so.
Teksta make life-like interactive robotic toy pets that respond to a range of commands and interactions like your voice, your gestures, lights and sounds. There are five robotic toys in the current Teksta range: 3 puppies in blue, pink and dalmatian, a kitty and of course, the T Rex that we have been trying out. The toys are suitable for children aged 5 and above. In the box, apart from our T Rex, there was a bone and instructions. You’ll need 4 AA batteries in to get your toy up and running. The recommended retail price is £59.99.
- Sniff things (when you press his nose)
- Different eye expressions so you can tell what emotion he is feeling
- He’ll charge towards noises that he hears (he has quite sensitive hearing)
- Eats the bone and spits the bone out (nice manners!)
- Pounces on his bone
- He reacts to you talking to him
- Dances to the tunes that you play by pressing the musical note button on his head
- He walks (this is better on a smooth surface than on a carpet say)ou can download the app to go with him- you’ll need an iPad with iOS 5.0 or above, or a tablet with Android 3.0 or above. It’s very easy to use and most children will be up and running with it very quickly. There are features which allow you to get your Teksta T Rex singing and dancing, and you can feed him too. You can train your Teksta pet to do all sorts of things, but it does require patience, which is a trait that children don’t always have. However, I do like the fact that this is needed as it shows that you have to work at things and can’t expect everything to work the way you want it straight away – a valuable life lesson!
Any downsides? You do need to be careful that the Teksta Robot T Rex doesn’t fall off if you are playing with him on a table say, but if you play on the floor he will be fine. Also, because he responds to sound, he may respond to sounds that you don’t want him to respond to like loud cat miaows for instance, cue a rather surprised family pet.
H has had a lot of fun with his Teksta Robot T Rex and I can imagine that lots of children will be adding this to their Christmas lists, in fact H is very keen to get one of the puppies and even the kitten (it’s a pity the kitty is only available in pink currently as I think that will put boys off that one).
Here’s a little video clip of H playing with this Teksta Robot T Rex. It’s very early days in their relationship, but you can see the T Rex spitting out his bone.