As we are likely to be spending a lot more time at home in the coming weeks, I’ve been checking our bookshelves to make sure we have plenty to read. A great addition to H’s collection is this series of ‘Instant’ books from Welbeck Publishing. I’m not planning on turning into a full home educator, but it would be good to make sure there is plenty to read in the house rather than just electronics. Better still if H learns something from them – I certainly have.
As you can see from the pictures, inside the books are uncluttered in their layout, but they still pack in a lot of information. In the Instant Engineering book for instant there are pictures and descriptions of the various types of windmill say or domes. Often there’s an explanation about how a principle behind the invention works or a timeline to show its development. Instant Maths covers theories, prominent mathematicians and concepts. Instant Science is wide ranging covering all the sciences with clear, concise explanations and thoughtful illustrations. Instant History gives you a grasp of key events and developments in a one page format. It’s a great way of gaining an introduction to a topic. It’s not too stuffy either – I smiled to see that the Richard III page referred to the phrase ‘king in the car park’.
I have a set of these books to give away to readers. Enter via the Gleam widget below.
Competition Terms and Conditions
1. No bulk, third-party or automated entries allowed.
2. Entrants must be aged 18 years or older and resident in the UK.
3. The winner or winners will be chosen by a random draw using the competition widget.
4. Promoter is responsible for fulfilling the prize and full contact details of the winner will be passed onto the promoter to enable prize fulfillment.
5. The winner’s name may be published on this site.
6. Competition closes at the end of Sunday 12th April 2020.