We always like to take a few things with us on a train journey to provide some amusement and to help the time go quickly. This weekend we went on a longish one and we took some activities to keep H happy and entertained. Over the years we have traveled quite a lot by train and we have honed our train entertainment strategy on long journeys to the Highlands of Scotland and the Welsh coast. Happy children make the journey a lot easier for the adults too. Here are our top five train entertainment ideas:
- Look out for things on your journey: stations, other trains, farm animals, vehicles. Either make your own checklist to follow in advance or use a ready-made one geared up for train journeys like an i-SPY book.
- Take a book or books. Reading on a train journey is a real pleasure for both children and adults. Use the time to get their school reading done or just to read for fun.
- Electronic Entertainment. We tend to leave this till other activities have been exhausted. Make sure you charge up your devices before your journey or take your charger with you to power up on the go. Headphones are another good item to pack as then you don’t disturb anyone else with the sound from your games or videos.
- Get creative. We always take some colouring pencils or some crayons on train journeys, plus some plain paper, so we can make some original works of art. Add a sheet of stickers or a glittery pen for some easy extra fun.
- Play games together or solve some puzzles either on your own or as a team effort. We loved the selection of Kids’ Travel Games from Transpennine Express that we took with us on our latest train journey. They have a range of free printable activities like this fun dots game.