Today I decided to jazz up my drawers. This little set has been a part of my bedroom at a couple of different houses and has been redone in a few different colour schemes. It wasn’t an expensive purchase in the first place and I’m sure a lot of you will recognise that it comes from Ikea. So far I’ve kept my customisation of it very simple, but this time I decided to go a little further and use some of the lovely knobs I was sent from Trinca-Ferro.
The knobs were a little bigger than I had expected, not the knobs themselves, but the shaft/stick/metal pole that fixes them. I decided that I’d need to turn the drawers around and use the backs as the fronts so that I had a drawer front without the little finger holes to work with.
I measured down 2cm and worked out where the middle of the drawer was and drilled my hole there. I used a little tape around where I was drilling to help prevent the wood from splitting. Remember to use a wood drill bit rather than a metal one. Drilling each hole too a matter of seconds.
I then sanded down the already painted outside of my drawers, so that I was working from an even surface and one that the paint would stick to. The drawers themselves didn’t need this because they were unpainted. We had some emulsion tester pots in the house from another decorating project, so I used one of those to paint. I needed to do 3 or 4 coats of paint to cover the purple and the unpainted drawers needed something similar because the paint sank into them.