eKAVACH recently got in touch and asked us to review their new digital parenting app. eKAVACH is named for the Hindi word for shield: kavach, it’s a cloud-based app with parental control features which allows you to let your children enjoy their digital devices securely and safely.
Like many children these days H loves to spend time on his tablet or on the laptop or even my phone. I usually get him to use them when I am in the same room, but this isn’t always possible so I need something for when I’m not there. On his tablet there are dangers like unwanted apps – there’s an app for everything these days including dating and porn, and there are games that aren’t really suitable for an 8-year-old. It doesn’t stop there though, there’s cyber stalking, grooming , sexting, and more out there. So it’s useful to get a little help with getting it all under control.
With the eKAVACH app installed you can protect your child from unsuitable content and other online threats through their smart devices and also you can also choose to limit usage time to prevent internet addiction. I think this could be especially useful for teenagers left at home during the day in the school holidays. Parents can also see their children’s location through Geo Location feature, which would also be useful for older children.
The main functions of the eKAVACH app are:
- Blocking of harmful websites to make sure your child can browse safely. You can block access to harmful inappropriate sites and also keep a track of sites your child has visited.
- App Management – Protect your child against dangerous apps. You can unblock and block apps.
- Setting Device Time – You can choose specific time limit for each day of the week to keep screen time under control.
- You can set time limits for certain apps if you want to limit time on them specifically.
- Geo Location tracking – So you know where your child is.
- You can view their child’s total online activities, such as device usage time, websites visited , app installed .
- Keyword Alerts – You can choose to receive real-time notifications about the keywords their children are searching, so that parents can respond immediately.
To set things up you will need the parent app on your phone or whatever you plan to use for monitoring, you can download it from the google store here. You can put the child app on the devices your child has access to.