Bathing your baby can be fun, but it can also be a bit stressful for a new parent. I can remember not really knowing what to do, even after going to a class in hospital led by a midwife. I’ve teamed up with Johnson’s to provide you with some bathtime tips from their experts.
Top 5 Bath-time tips from JOHNSON’S® Healthcare Professional Relationship Consultant, Rebecca Bennett:
- Warm a towel before wrapping up baby after a soothing bath. Just make sure the towel isn’t too hot.
- Your baby’s vulnerable skin doesn’t like hot water. 37C is perfect, use the inside of your wrist to feel water like baby’s skin does.
- Yellow is the colour of energy, sunshine, and it stimulates intellect. So fill baby’s bath with smart yellow toys. Also, keep your baby’s bath toys, you can use them to coax your little one into swimming lessons later.
- If your baby is a little nervous at bathtime, talk them through it. Your voice will soothe them – and help them feel safe.
- Your baby’s skin is delicate, so pat them dry gently with a towel after a bath.
Post bath is the ideal time to give a baby massage. I can remember my son loving his massage sessions after his bath and we went to some very helpful baby massage classes run by a local midwife. Johnson’s also have baby massage products within their range and their psychologist has some observations to share about the benefits of baby massage.
Five Benefits of Baby Massage from Family Psychologist, Dr. Angharad Rudkin
- Massage is a good way of bonding with your baby.
- Massage has been shown to help baby’s social and cognitive development.
- Big sister or brother can help you to massage your baby – it makes them feel like they can help you care for baby.
- Baby massage is a great activity for dads to get involved, and helps them feel closer to their baby and more confident in looking after them.
- Massage can be an important part of a bedtime routine, which helps give babies the cue that it is time to snuggle up and sleep.
The Johnson’s Top-to-Toe range, which is specially formulated for babies aged 0 to 6 months, and is as safe to use as water alone, from the very first day. The range gently cleanses and protects baby’s first line of defence – their skin, which is increasingly important at this time of year, when the combination of cold winds and dribble can leave their little faces looking and feeling a little dry and sensitive. I have a set of products from the range to give away. Enter via the Gleam widget below.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- No bulk, third-party or automated entries.
- Entrants must be UK residents aged 18 years or older.
- The winners will be chosen by a random draw.
- The winner will be notified by email and will have a week to claim their prize. Should they fail to respond within this time, an alternative winner will be selected.
- Promoter is responsible for fulfilling the prize and full contact details of the winner will be passed onto the promoter.
- Competition closes on 8th January 2017.