H is devouring books at quite a rate at the moment, but it can sometimes be difficult to persuade him to start on a series, unless the cover tempts him in or a friend raves about it. So I wasn’t quite sure whether he’d take to Dragon’s Green when we were sent a copy to review. I needn’t have worried though, he was soon off and away and he just wouldn’t put it down. It’s been a monster hit and he’s gutted that he has to wait to read the next book in the series.
I was intrigued about the book myself. It’s a debut children’s fantasy novel from an established best-selling author, Scarlett Thomas. She’s written bestsellers such as The End Of Mr. Y, but I have to admit I’ve not read any of her books for adults. The books recommended for readers 9-12 and those that like Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events and J.K.Rowling’s Harry Potter. H is a big fan of both Percy Jackson and Harry Potter, so perhaps it’s not surprising he liked Dragon’s Green too.
It’s essentially a magical fantasy version set in a world that was changed a few years ago by the Worldquake, after which the series is named. The Worldquake seems to have allowed magic to seep into our world. Effie Truelove promised to keep her grandfather’s magical books safe, but together with her new school-friends, Maximilian, Wolf, Lexy and Raven, Effie must travel to the mysterious Otherworld. They’ll have to brave the Diberi, a secret organisation with plans that could destroy the whole universe. It’s a gripping read as I’ve found since I started reading it myself. H can’t wait for the next book in the series which with be The Chosen Ones (April 2018).
I have a copy of the book to give away to readers too. Enter via the Gleam widget below.
Competition Terms and Conditions
1. No bulk, third-party or automated entries.
2. Entrants must be aged 18 years or older.
3. The winners will be chosen by a random draw.
4. The winner will be notified by email and will have a week to claim their prize. Should they fail to respond within this time, an alternative winner will be selected.
5. Promoter is responsible for fulfilling the prize and full contact details of the winner will be passed onto the promoter.
6. Competition closes on 8th October 2017.